Functional Magnetic Stimulation: Redefining intimate health and wellness

Did you know one in three mothers suffer with incontinence? During pregnancy and childbirth, as the baby moves through the birth canal, the nerves of the pelvic floor muscles are stretched and the bladder may lose its muscle tone. The bladder itself is not often damaged, however the nerves and muscles that have been overstretched lead to bladder weakness.

Fortunately, there are new, non-invasive treatments available to assist this condition. One of which is Functional Magnetic Stimulation (FMS) which delivers up to 3 tesla. A special magnetic field is generated by a pulse of current inside the EM (electro- magnetic) mechanism, and this induces a current that triggers the motor nerve system of the body, stimulating the targeted muscles to contract helping to boost blood circulation and nutrition to the muscles.
During electromagnetic induction, rapid changes of magnetic field intensity induce an electrical current in the neuron. Once the current reaches a certain value, a so-called neuron action potential is achieved. This neuron action potential causes the neuron cell to depolarise, which eventually leads to a supramaximal muscle contraction.

Powered by FMS technology, the TESLAChair™ is a revolutionary new treatment for urge and stress incontinence in both men and women. This innovative device stimulates deep muscle tissue without coming in direct contact with the skin.

Backed by clinical trials, the TESLAChair™ is redefining the intimate health and wellness space with studies showing that up to 90% of women suffering from postnatal urinary incontinence were relieved of their symptoms after the TESLAChair™ treatment (Štrumbelj et al., 2015). The remaining 10 per cent noticed a significant improvement. As TESLAChair™ treatments are totally non-invasive, they are particularly attractive to patients who are keen to avoid the risks and downtime associated with surgery. TESLAChair™ treatments are also suitable for patients who cannot undergo electrotherapy. Please see figure 1 for trial results.

Figure 1

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Results in treating urge urinary incontinence (URGE - 36 women), mixed urinary incontinence (MIXED - 42 women), stress urinary incontinence (STRESS - 61 women) and incontinence after childbirth (21 women – AFTER CHILDBIRTH) acquired at three medical centres using FMS therapy.

 
A course of 6 to 10 treatments is recommended, performed 2 or 3 times per week for thirty minutes. For some patients, maintenance treatments may also be recommended. Treatment can be administered by a qualified Dermal Therapist or Cosmetic Nurse under the supervision of a medical doctor.
For more information about the TESLAChair™, please visit: https://www.cryomed.com.au/teslachair202010/

 
References

Štrumbelj, T., Podnar, P., Koman Mežek, Z. and Zorec, B. (2015). Treatment of
urinary incontinence with functional magnetic stimulation (FMS). Mediterranean Incontinence
and Pelvic Floor Society. https://www.cryomed.com.au/wp-
content/uploads/2020/10/dwn_01TreatmentofUrinaryIncontinencewithFMS-Strumbelj.pdf

by Australasian Academy of Cosmetic Dermal Science